Monday, February 25, 2008

Love Notes

My 5 year old kindergartener, Ashlyn, has been coming home daily with notes and drawings from a little boy in her class. First, it started out with him saving her a seat on the bus (morning and afternoon) and then I would see her at church waving to him and saying hi and getting kindof goofy around him. Then in January she came home with a piece of paper with a phone number on it and told me that Carter (love interest) gave her his phone number and she didn't know hers to give back to him (thank heavens!). She was also instructed to draw him a picture of the 2 of them exchanging Valentine's cards...and to put her phone number on the picture.

Let me just tell you a little about this boy. He is also 5 and is deathly shy (unless you ask Ashlyn, then she'll tell you he isn't). He is super cute...dark hair, glasses, cute little timid smile.

I just can't figure out how this started! Where in the world do they learn to have boyfriends at such a young age? FOR HEAVEN SAKE! SHE'S ONLY 5!

Anyways, to continue the story....she came home from school last week with a "big secret" and didn't want to tell anyone but grandpa. So, after much convincing, this is what I found out....Carter had written her a note and I was going to be so mad and I was going to scream. He had also drawn her a picture (that she would show me) of the 2 of them inside a house. I called my dad begging to know "the secret", but he said his lips were sealed. Later that night I asked Ashlyn again to tell me and she agreed. She said, "Mom, Carter wrote me a note that said I Love You and he told me he hasn't decided if he wants to marry me yet and I haven't decided if I want to marry him either." I told her that people don't get married until they are old like me and that she shouldn't have a boyfriend when she's so young. She agreed and went to bed.

Today Ashlyn came home with more notes stuffed in her backpack (she doesn't know I have them). When she walked in the front door she said, "Mom! Carter said he wants to kiss me and I've always wanted to be kissed by a boy!" I just about passed out! SHE'S ONLY 5!!!! I reminded her that she is too young and shouldn't be kissing boys. She then said, "I know. I hope I still know Carter when I'm older so I can kiss him."

6 comments:

Camille said...

I would feel bad for you, but I believe it was your daughter who corrupted my little tiny son with a french kiss!!! ha ha... how old were they? I dont' think Aiden was even one yet. Good times. I don't know what to tell you about this kid- he sounds a little pushy for a 5 year old kid, but what do I know? How could he not be in love with Ashlyn?

tonyandalli said...

Sounds like you have your hands full! I had "boyfriends" in kindergarten too. They were actually just boys that were friends that would give me presents and try to kiss me. I would call them my fiance. I didn't even know what that meant! It was totally a stage and I didn't get boy crazy again till middle school. Maybe Ashlyn will do the same? Good luck!

The Waters Clan said...

Hey Amber and Aaron, It is Fran (Wieseler) Waters. I found your blog off of my sister-in-law Amy's (she is the one who got me hooked). Anyways i have a son that is a kindergartener also and his teacher informed me at conferences that he had a girlfriend. My frist question was "do they generally start this young" she said not usually but that it happened the last time she had way more girls in the class than boys. He has like 11 girls and 6 boys. I know the feeling though because I was a little freaked out. The little girl "Kendra" sent home a page full of hearts one day and her name and phone number. Scary, I thought I would not have to deal with this until third or fourth grade. Be sure and tell Aaron hi for me.

Shanae said...

So that is what I have to look forward too, huh? I am scared!!! Kali already has this little neighbor boy he is 3, Kali is 2 and when ever they fight we tell them to hug each other and then one day Kali said Kiss too! I was like, "what"? Luckily they are still very young and innocent I haven't found any love letters yet, but I am sure in a few years, AAAAAAAUUUUGGGGG!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow, that is funny!! That's all I have to say:)

Francis Family said...

Little heartbreaker already! Really, where do they learn so young? I loved seeing the notes- young love! Maybe you should teach her a few moves from Syndey Bristow- you know, a block here, a jab there- just so she'll be able to teach the not so nice ones a lesson!